Timbuktu. For many centuries was considered as ‘lost’ city in the desert. Established in 1100 AD by the TAMASHEK (The name the Tuareg call themselves). It was the final point of the camels convoys, who crossed the Sahara desert from north to south, carry with them salt.
The town grew on the 14th century when the king, Mansa-Musa developed it. The convoys carried Gold, Kola nuts, slaves from the south, and Salt, books, copper, cloths from the north.
On the 16th century the town entered its ‘golden age’, when Sankore university was established , and soon became one of the biggest Arabic school in the Muslim world.